Monday, August 29, 2011

The Journey Begins!

September 29, 2010, Jonathan and I set on the ledge looking out over the city of Kigali, Rwanda in the heart of Africa. We sat there talking about what God had done over the past week. I remember as if it was yesterday: Jonathan looked at me and said, "I feel God wants us to adopt." and I said, "Yes we should!" We were so excited to see what God had instore for us and so anxious to get back to America and start the process.

I will admit I had no idea how hard and trying the process would be, and I am talking about just picking an adoption agency and the country we wanted to adopt from. God knew, and one day in the mail a packet came in from America World. I sat outside, and as I opened and pulled the flap back on the light blue packet it read, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah  29:11. When I started to read about America World, God's word was saturated throughout the information and the testimonials. I was sold on the agency, and I was so ready for Jonathan to get home so he could look over everything! Now why Russia? Because that is where our daughter is, and God knew this and had it planned since the beginning of time.

  On November 3, 2010, we were accepted and approved for adoption. We were sitting in Atlanta Bread, and the call came from our agency. It was such an exciting moment, and for the first time, my emotions started, and that wouldn't be the last. We had a daughter...Was she born? How old is she? What is she doing? What does she look like? Is she safe? Is she in a good orphanage? When God would I hold her in my arms? I longed to hold her in my arms and hug and kiss her. I felt she was out there and I prayed that she was longing for a mom and dad as much as we were so eager to have our daughter.

The name Grace. Jonathan and I were at Buffalo Wild Wings one night, talking about names. Jonathan, as most guys probably do, said 1 good name for every 20 silly names that came out of his mouth. This went on for what felt like 30 minutes. Then he said "Grace," and I said, "I like it, but let's keep on thinking of names." Like most women, I had the name I wanted already predetermined, so no other name sounded as good in the moment. The next day, Jonathan, Cole, and I went to Barnes& Noble to look at baby name books. Just imagine two guys talking about baby names; it was a joke fest and nothing more. Then Cole had an idea to look for the name Taylor. We could then see what name is right above Taylor and put it together to see if it sounds good. Then Cole said Grace Taylor, and of course Jonathan said, "I told you," and again his name was winning out. We were beginning to wonder if God was showing us the name Grace. Friday night rolled around, and of course in the fall, what else is there to do but go to a highschool football game? Jonathan is the chaplain for Central High School sports, so he is always on the field for every game. That night, Troy Cook came with Cole and I to the football game. During the game I leaned over to Troy and asked him, "What is your favorite girl name?" He paused and looked at me and said, "GRACE!" Our mouths dropped; we were stunned. I even thought that Jonathan had told Troy before hand to say that, but Troy hadn't talked to Jonathan. At that moment I told God, "I get it God, her name is Grace." The confirmation on her name was amazing and just one more reason why my God is so great!

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know he touched I am with your story! I teared reading your blogs. I wish you guys the best! Grace will be has already been a blessing your lives but you have to think that you two are going to be the most wonderful blessing in her life! I wish you the best in parenthood!!

    ReplyDelete